The year was 1846. Thirty members of The McCrory Creek Baptist Church were sent out to begin a new work on the east side of the Stone's River. Being led by the Spirit of God, those thirty charter members entered a covenant with one another to birth a new congregation that would become The New Hope Baptist Church.
In those early years, the church met in Cedar Glade School until a House of Worship could be built. The original church building was constructed out of logs and was ready for occupancy by December 1847. That first church building burned in September 23, 1871. The members rallied, sacrificed and worked to rebuild. With hand-made bricks from off of the church's property, a new building was erected in 1872 and 1873.
On Easter Sunday, April 1988, groundbreaking ceremonies were held for a new sanctuary and it was completed by Easter of the following year. Yet, for all of the building and expansion our church has experienced over the years, we celebrate the fact that New Hope is not a building. We are a fellowship of Christian believers who are blessed to be a part of a rich heritage that has spanned 170 years. And during all of those years, New Hope has served this community, this state, this nation and this world.
Our church has a heart that cares for people and an unshakable belief in the power of the Word of God to change lives. We are here for the purpose of making disciples (Matthew 28:18-20) and to that end we give our ourselves. New Hope has a long history of connecting with people and impacting lives.
We have a deep appreciation for our heritage and we also look forward to the continual work of building a future and planting hope in the lives of people. But not just any hope - we strive mightily to plant a new hope - hope that is found only in the Person of Jesus Christ. For this history is His-Story and New Hope is part of His ongoing plan to love and reach people in His Name.